I sadly noticed that one of my favorite, and very well-used, tablecloths had sprouted several holes (again). So I decided to make two matching table runners out of the good end sections. That finished, I was about to toss the holey middle section when I realized that I could cut it all up into nice, heavy, cotton rags.
So I folded and cut in half and half and half until I had reasonably sized rags. But those raw edges got me. So out came my serger and I zipped around all 16 rags in no time at all. I rounded the corners to save time. Ta Da!
The childrens’ Sunday School class needs a gold bag for a lesson, so I created one today. All it took was a piece of shimmery gold lame’ fabric, an equal piece of muslin, and a piece of 8.5×11 paper for a pattern.
I placed the short end of the paper on the fold of the fabrics and cut around it.
Next, I stacked the unfolded lame’ on the unfolded muslin and pinned them together, and then I serged all the way around because the lame’ ravels like crazy. On the two short ends, I folded down about 1 inch to form casings for the drawstring. (Oh yes, you need something for the drawstrings too. I used two pieces of black twill tape.) Press and stitch the casings in place.
Then, at the two corners at the bottom of the bag, I traced around a big lid to get rounded corners, and cut on the lines. I stitched up the side seams just until I reached the casings, but I didn’t stitch through them. After I turned the bag right side out, I ran a piece of twill tape through both casings and tied the ends together. Then I ran the other piece of twill tape through both casings the same way, but I started and stopped in the opposite hole.
Cinched up, it’s a bag o’ gold!